At some point, everyone needs to consider estate planning.
With an estate plan, you can ensure that your loved ones are taken care of financially after your death. You can give your family peace of mind by minimizing the lengthy probate process and documenting what you want if you become mentally or physically disabled. Your estate plan can also help ensure your business’ survival, minimize taxation on your estate and minimize taxation on your retirement plans.
It’s time to create an up-to-date estate plan when you experience one of these life events:
- You marry, divorce or remarry.
- You have a child.
- The value of your assets changes significantly.
- You have a business you’d like to protect.
- You move to a different state.
- You’d like to change the executor or administrator of your will.
- One of your heirs dies.
- The laws affecting your estate change.
- You plan on leaving money to a charity or organization.
- Your assets exceed $1 million.
A successful estate plan contains, or accounts for, a will, power of attorney, a plan for minors, life insurance, trusts and charitable giving. Contact a trusted financial adviser for help updating your estate plan today!
Gregory A. Boyce is a registered representative. Securities offered through MWA Financial Services Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Modern Woodmen of America, 1701 1st Avenue, Rock Island, IL 61201, 309-558-3100. Member: NASD, SIPC.