Lexington High School sign

LEXINGTON -- Lexington Local Schools has new buildings in its future, thanks to voter approval of a 37-year, 8.6-mill bond levy Tuesday.

According to final, unofficial totals from the Richland County Board of Elections, the issue was approved by 57 percent of the voters -- 4,426 to 3,333.

With its passage, the district will construct two new buildings to replace its current five buildings. Each building will have two wings. One building will hold pre-kindergarten through sixth grade. The other building will house grades seven through grade 12.

"We're very thankful for the support of the community," Supt. Mike Ziegelhofer said. "We are thankful to students, parents and the parent-teacher organization. This will help generations of students to come with the learning environment they needed to succeed."

The district leadership held multiple meetings involving community members to learn and share their ideas for what the levy should include.

Once the levy was placed on the ballot, the school district sent out multiple flyers and a newsletter to share information about the issue.

District taxpayers will pay 47 percent ($55.9 million) of the construction cost. The state will pay the remaining 53 percent.

Now the district will wait for state money, Ziegelhofer said.

"As I'm sitting now, what I'm told is we will be eligible to begin planning between July and December 2019," he said.

Support Our Journalism

Our content is free and always will be - but we rely on your support to sustain it.

Staff Reporter

Noah Jones is host to The Open Mic Podcast -- available on Apple Podcasts! He is the crime, education and music reporter for Richland Source. He is a native of St. Louis, Missouri and a giant Cardinals fan.