MANSFIELD — Bond was set at $10,000 on Thursday morning during the Mansfield Municipal Court arraignment of Butler Mayor Wesley Dingus, charged with two misdemeanor counts of voyeurism.

Magistrate John McCollister, whose bond will allow the defendant to post 10 percent, also ordered Dingus to have no contact with the alleged victim in the case and wear electronic monitoring.

Both of the charges are third-degree misdemeanors.

The alleged offenses involve the 48-year-old Dingus sniffing the previously worn underwear of a minor relative in his care. Both instances were recorded by a small video camera, according to a Richland County Sheriff’s Office report.

According to Ohio Revised Code 2907.08, “No person, for the purpose of sexually arousing or gratifying the person’s self, shall commit trespass or otherwise surreptitiously invade the privacy of another, to spy or eavesdrop upon another.”

The incidents allegedly took place on Jan. 13, according to the report, while Dingus was out on bond awaiting trial for another criminal case in Richland County Common Pleas Court.

Dingus was joined in court by defense attorney James Mayer III, who waived a reading of the charges and entered not guilty pleas on behalf of his client. The Mansfield lawyer is also representing Dingus in the county case.

City of Mansfield Assistant Law Director Rob Sharp asked the court consider “a reasonable bond, plus a no-contact order and electronic monitoring.”

Mayer told the magistrate that his client has no prior criminal convictions and has successfully complied with all bond requirements in his felony case pending in Common Pleas Court.

“Because of that, I have no doubt that whatever bond conditions the court sees fit to set in this matter that he’s going to comply with each and every one of them,” Mayer said.

“He is going to show up for court. He is not going anywhere,” the defense attorney said.

McCollister said the court was aware the alleged new offenses took place while Dingus was out on bond in Common Pleas Court.

“At this point in time, the bond is set at $10,000, 10 percent bond, and includes a no-contact order with the alleged victim and electronic monitoring should the defendant be released,” the magistrate said.

The incidents allegedly took place on Jan. 13, according to a Richland County Sheriff’s Office report.

The RCSO began its current investigation after being contacted by Richland County Children Services.

The RCSO forwarded its investigation to the Mansfield Law Director’s Office on Jan. 26.

On Feb. 12, Sharp said two summonses would be issued to Dingus. Those were served to the defendant on Feb. 13.

Dingus indicted on 4 counts in 2025

In 2025, Dingus was indicted on four counts by a Richland County grand jury, including aggravated assault (a fourth-degree felony), vehicular assault (a fourth-degree felony), falsification (a first-degree misdemeanor) and dereliction of duty (a second-degree misdemeanor).

The charges stem from a July 11, 2025, incident, during which Dingus allegedly struck a man twice with his car. The man was wanted by the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction for a parole violation and was reportedly fleeing police during a traffic stop when Dingus was charged with hitting him with his vehicle.

Dingus was arrested on a warrant on Aug. 17 and pleaded not guilty to all charges the following day. He was released from the Richland County Jail on a $25,000 bond. That case remains pending in Common Pleas Court.

City editor. 30-year plus journalist. Husband. Father of 3 grown sons and also a proud grandpa. Prior military journalist in U.S. Navy, Ohio Air National Guard. -- Favorite quote: "Where were you when...