EDITOR'S NOTE: This story was originally published on Richland Source in 2015.
The land that is Johns Park was donated to the city in 1907, though the neighborhood around it — known then as the Johns Addition — was in place since the 1890s.
Within the first decade of its life the park grew a couple rustic picnic pavilions and a graceful fountain, but they were replaced during the Depression by a large brick pavilion funded and built by the US government as a WPA project.
Johns Park was once the home of a vital and active baseball diamond used by city leagues, but that ball field is today a grassy meadow. It also had tennis courts that have since been repurposed to basketball.