ONTARIO -- Ontario plans to host its Fourth of July firework show, Mayor Randy Hutchinson told city council Wednesday evening.
Hutchinson said the fireworks are currently scheduled and will take place as long as the state standards can be met.
“We’re still moving ahead with the fireworks. I know some cities have stopped it but since we have the donor, we’re going to move forward with that,” Hutchinson said.
Earlier this month, Hutchinson informed the council that the city had received a sizable donation for this year’s fireworks. Details of the celebration are still in the works. At the council's May 6 meeting, it was suggested that spectators may be required to watch from their cars to comply with social distancing guidelines.
Hutchinson also announced city parks will reopen Tuesday, with limitations. The tennis courts will be open; basketball courts and playgrounds will not. Pavilions will be open, but with signs posted advising that gatherings are limited to 10 people.
A reopening date for the senior center has not been announced.
Councilman Eddie Gallo asked the mayor and safety service director Jeffery Wilson if there was an existing database or business registry that allowed the city to issue mass email communications to businesses.
Wilson said there was not. Gallo said he’d like to establish a mass email list for communicating with businesses, whether it be for COVID-19 information or economic development purposes.
“I’d like to figure out a way we can establish some sort of communication where we can send out -- whatever it has to do with -- anything at all, economic development or otherwise.."
“I like your idea,” Hutchinson said. “It might be an issue getting everyone in the town to provide (contact information).”