New Years Day Standoff 2022.jpeg

The scene at South Main Street and Randall Road on New Year's Day when Jeremiah Conrad placed himself in a standoff with police that ended peacefully.

MANSFIELD -- A nearly five-hour standoff ended peacefully Saturday at around 8:30 p.m. when Jeremiah Conrad turned himself in to Mansfield police, about an hour after releasing his 13-year-old daughter to authorities.

The conflict with Conrad, who according to police and his wife suffered from a series of mental and emotional health issues, began at approximately 4:00 p.m.

Around that time, Conrad confined himself and his daughter to the house and threatened to harm himself with a knife. Conrad did not have a firearm, according to police statements.

Mansfield police set up a makeshift headquarters for SWAT and tactical units in the Stimens Apartments office at 711 South Main, which is about 100 yards from Randall Road home where Conrad was. 

The scene remained sedate throughout, with SWAT and police units either at a distance from the residence or without lights on if they were nearby. 

At around 6:30 p.m., a SWAT tactical vehicle with about 8 to 10 officers approached the residence, shining a spotlight on the home, which showed no evidence of any interior lights being on.

Shortly thereafter, Conrad released his daughter from the house in exchange for a pack of cigarettes, according to police.

The SWAT vehicle retreated to the Stimens parking lot immediately afterward. The scene remained a quiet standoff until approximately 8:30 p.m., when Conrad was seen surrendering to police.

He was placed in an ambulance, which quickly departed the scene to transport Conrad to the hospital for treatment.

Mansfield Assistant Chief Jason Bammann said he was glad the incident ended peacefully. Bammann also confirmed that Conrad had a history of mental and emotional issues. 

"He's being taken to the hospital to get the the treatment that he needs."

A conversation with Conrad's wife, Lyndsay, who sat powerless in her van in a parking lot across South Main Street, confirmed the man's history of emotional health problems.

"He's just so up and down. He says he's depressed and says he wants to die. I wish that he could get the help he needs."

Support Our Journalism

Our reporting empowers people to individually and collectively achieve progress in our region. Help make free, local, independent journalism sustainable by becoming a Source Member.