Richland County Sheriff Steve Sheldon

Richland County Sheriff Steve Sheldon addresses media about the fatal standoff that happened Wednesday along Peterson Road in Mifflin Township.

MANSFIELD — One man died Wednesday after being shot by police officers during an hours-long standoff on Peterson Road, according to authorities. 

The Richland County Sheriff's office said it attempted to serve warrants around 1:30 p.m., but the confrontation turned violent when the man threatened officers with several weapons, including machetes, and barricaded himself inside the house.

Drone footage from the Richland County Sheriff's Office captures the final moments of an hours long standoff along Peterson Road in Mifflin Township. WARNING: The video contains graphic footage.

Sheriff Steve Sheldon said the deputies were serving the man, whom authorities have not identified, an arrest warrant on a felony charge and a search warrant for the house at 3340 Peterson Road.

"The subject of the warrant barricaded his property and would not allow entry to the units at the scene," Sheldon said, reading from a prepared statement.

Sheldon said officers tried negotiating with the man for hours and tried to "subdue the subject with non-lethal force," even firing gas canisters to try to draw him out of the house. 

The Allied Special Operations Response Team, known as ASORT, entered the residence at one point, Sheldon said. The man was on the front deck at the time. 

"The subject re-entered the house upon hearing ASORT members coming in the residence and threatened the officers inside, armed with weapons," Sheldon said. 

The confrontation, which lasted nearly three hours, ended with a volley of gunfire, which was caught on video from a Richland County Sheriff's Office drone. 

Sheldon said Paul Webb Jr., a Mansfield police officer, and Rod Roose, an Ontario Police officer, fired the shots.

Per protocol, the officers have been placed on administrative leave, pending an investigation led by the state Bureau of Criminal Investigation. 

The man was taken to OhioHealth Mansfield, where authorities said he died from his injuries.

Sheldon said no officers were injured during the shooting.

The sheriff said the incident "started July 4." 

"We were having dealings with the subject and we felt that he was not being exactly cooperative on that day and we thought there were going to be future problems," Sheldon said. 

Sheldon said the sheriff's office had tried over the last month to get the man to turn himself in, "to no avail."

"Additional citizen complaints and threatening behavior by the subject, along with several weapons violations led to (Wednesday's) warrants," Sheldon said.

Mansfield Police Chief Keith Porch said the outcome is unfortunate.

"Clearly, not what we wanted and we wished for a better outcome," Porch said during a press conference.

He added he was "overjoyed" that no one else was hurt. 

Had the man been arrested, Sheldon said he would have been charged with a felony and up to six misdemeanors. 

Support Our Journalism

Our content is free and always will be - but we rely on your support to sustain it. Become a member starting at $5 per month.

Make sure you don't miss this:

Make sure you don't miss this: