MADISON TOWNSHIP ─ Eleven roads in Madison Township will be paved this year.
The township trustees approved to bid out the 2021 road resurfacing projects at its regular meeting on Monday evening, with Trustee Dan Fletcher’s objection.
According to the bid document, the roads that will be paved are as follows:
- Martha Avenue: from State Route 430 South to Erhart Drive
- Bahl Avenue: south to Hickory Lane
- Erhart Drive: between Martha Avenue and Bahl Avenue
- Mayer Drive: from Mansfield Lucas Road to the dead end
- Lee Lane: from State Route 430 to Grace Street
- Vernon Road: from State Route 430 to Grace Street
- Bonnie Drive: from State Route 39 to Ridge Road
- Evergreen Avenue: east from McElroy Road to Burgraff Drive
- Evergreen Avenue: west from McElroy Road to Madison Trailer park
- All parts of Burgraff Road
- Yale Avenue: from Stewart Road to the Trailer Park
Trustee Catherine Swank, who prepared the bid document, originally set the bid opening date on June 24. Fletcher said the schedule might be too tight, considering the township has to advertise the project in the local newspaper for at least 14 days.
Swank said she had gone over the document with Richland County engineer Adam Gove, who had no issue with it. But Chairman Trustee Jim Houser said he agreed with Fletcher’s point and suggested moving the opening date to June 28. The board later voted to bid out the paving project.
The trustees also approved two detour route maintenance agreements with the Ohio Department of Transportation. ODOT is conducting a culvert replacement project on State Route 545 and a major reconstruction project on U.S. Route 30.
Fletcher said both projects began on June 1.
Due to the construction, State Route 545 between Hoover Road and Crall Road will be closed for 30 days, according to the agreement. Drivers traveling northbound on State Route 545 can turn east onto Hoover Road, taking Stewart Road, Crall Road and return to the state route. The reverse of this detour route is also included.
The reconstruction project will make the exit ramp from westbound U.S. 30 to Fifth Avenue close for 21 days. According to the agreement, drivers traveling west on U.S. Route 30 will have to take the U.S. 42 south exit toward Mansfield, turning north onto Stewart Road and take Fleming Falls Road to return to Fifth Avenue.