Handcuffs 2

MANSFIELD -- Three Mansfield Police officers suffered minor injuries Tuesday and a police vehicle was damaged as a routine traffic stop took on a wild, 20-mile high-speed chase and led to an eventual arrest in Shiloh.

Luke A. Porter, 34, was arrested on charges including abduction, felonious assault on a peace officer, failure to comply and a number of other outstanding warrants, according to a press release issued Wednesday by Mansfield Police Chief Keith Porch.

Porter was transported to the Richland County Jail and incarcerated. Three officers sustained minor injuries but have returned to work.

It all began at approximately 8:17 p.m., when officers stopped a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica at 680 N. Main St. in reference to a license-plate violation. Police say Porter was found to be wanted on several outstanding warrants.

As officers spoke to a female, front-seat passenger, Porter was asked to exit the vehicle. Instead, authorities report that Porter restarted the vehicle, put it in reverse and fled the scene. In doing so, three Mansfield Police officers were injured, including at least two who were struck by the open doors of the suspect vehicle.

The suspect's vehicle also struck a marked cruiser as it fled the lot.

Police stated that Porter was able to successfully flee the scene, traveling northbound on State Route 13 (North Main Street) at a high rate of speed with officers in pursuit. The car chase lasted approximately 20 miles into the northern part of Richland County with Porter making numerous traffic infractions, while refusing to stop.

According to authorities, Porter drove through several farm fields in an attempt to lose the pursuing officers, before abandoning the vehicle and fleeing on foot. Officers then pursued the suspect on foot at which time he was taken into custody in the area of 282 Baseline Road West in Shiloh.

The front-seat passenger told police she had attempted to exit the vehicle as Porter began to flee but he grabbed her by the hair and pulled her back into the vehicle. This claim was corroborated by a witness at the scene.

Both the witness and front-seat passenger gave a voluntary statements to officers.

The incident remains under investigation.

Support Our Journalism

Our content is free and always will be - but we rely on your support to sustain it.