Details for Richland Source is hiring for a Reporter
Richland Source was founded to change the conversation surrounding local news. There's an audience in north central Ohio hungry for a different local news product -- one that is digital, forward-thinking, community-focused and truly representative of what it is like to live and work in the area.
We launched in June 2013 and have posted new, locally reported content every day since. Richland Source reaches over 200,000 unique visitors per month all over Ohio and is growing every quarter.
Our mission and goals are to tell the entire story of our coverage area. That means that our news mix is decidedly more holistic than traditional news sources.Our newsroom devotes about 85 percent of its headlines to the lives, businesses, schools, and activities of extraordinary residents.
We aren’t all rainbows and unicorns, however. We absolutely report the challenges confronting our region, but we don’t live off of it or attempt to exploit them. Think of our news mix like you would a balanced diet and regular exercise. Spending all our resources reporting the worst parts of our region is like living off Cheetos and whiskey. It might work for a while, but it will eventually make you sick. To learn more about us -- reporters do their research, right? -- browse around Our Story.
Our innovative and community-focused business model has been recognized nationally by industry think tanks such as NiemanLab and the Columbia Journalism Review. In 2016, Richland Source was named the Small Business of the Year by our local Chamber of Commerce.
On the journalistic side, our newsroom's work on flooding and infant mortality garnered recognition from the New York Times and the Solutions Journalism Network. Richland Source was the only publication in the country to have two pieces recognized in 2016. In 2019, Richland Source won four first-place awards at the national Local Independent Online News Agency awards in Nashville, Tenn.
Audience engagement initiatives have been examined by Poynter and MediaShift.
Our vibrant offices are located in a growing downtown section of Mansfield, within walking distance of an emerging scene encompassing bars, live music venues, restaurants and the best coffee shop and bakery in town.
Reporter Job Description:
Under the direction of the Managing Editor, the Reporter is responsible for sourcing news; gathering, understanding, and then delivering a collection of assets (written, visual, data-driven) that tell a great story.
This position requires an individual with a high degree of community interest, strong journalistic ethics and background, and an ability to find and communicate the stories of our coverage area in innovative ways.
The position also requires an individual who is fluent (or willing to become fluent) in established and emerging social media, basic photography and video, and the principles of data journalism.
- Maintains a high standard for quality and on-time production of editorial content.
- Consistently produces content that delivers high reader engagement and reach.
- Takes ownership of the promotion of his / her content. Meets / exceeds company expectations in terms of promoting content to concerned parties.
- Effectively coordinates coverage schedules to meet deadlines.
- Shares information / mentors others in the department as requested / needed.
- Participates / innovates / leads efforts which result in circulation growth.
EEOC (equal employee opportunity commission).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively source story leads & submit assets on time.
- Provide photo / video coverage of events as assigned.
- Cover events outside of specialty / assigned beat as assigned.
- Work with company supplied workflow management tools to track story progress.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong editorial mindset.
- Comfortable with digital publishing tools.
- Fluency in AP style.
- Demonstrates good judgment, critical thinking skills, and problem-solving abilities.
- Available to work evenings and weekends as required to meet editorial needs.
- Ability / willingness to learn photo, audio, and video skills.
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years of reporting experience preferred
How to Apply
- Email resume, cover letter, and three clips to email@example.com by Sept. 30.