Details for Metallurgical Engineer
The primary function of this position is to provide technical support to the Marketing & Sales and Manufacturing departments to ensure that customer metallurgical requirements are satisfied. To achieve this objective, timely and accurate technical decisions must be provided in responses to customer inquiries, specification analyses, and customer claims. This position includes managing projects on the shop floor focused on achieving business plan objectives. In addition, the Laboratory quality assurance system is monitored, maintained, and updated to ensure compliance with ISO 9000/QS 9000 global standards and customer requirements.
- Technical support and guidance is provided directly to the customer by defining metallurgical/technical parameters and ArcelorMittal’s capabilities.
- Technical direction is provided to Purchasing and Production Control to ensure that raw material suppliers adhere to metallurgical standards.
- Provide timely and accurate responses to mill inquiries, specification and print developments, and customer claims.
- Clarify customers’ requirements via visits or phone consultations.
- Make technical decisions in directing Purchasing, Production Control, Manufacturing, Product Development, and Information Technology personnel regarding conformance to customers’ requirements.
- Metallurgical technical data is analyzed to provide technical support and direction for development of new tubular products.
- Provide technical direction to metallurgical colleagues to verify product conformance prior to shipment.
- Coordinate projects in conjunction with the manufacturing departments to improve yield, quality and process improvements.
- Bachelor of Science in Metallurgical Engineering or Materials Science.
- 1-5 years of experience working in a metallurgical capacity, preferably in a steel environment. Must have experience providing support on a production floor. While experience is preferred, a recent college graduate will be considered.
- Good working knowledge of basic steel production.
- Good working knowledge of chemistry.
- Excellent computer proficiency especially in Microsoft Office products including – Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Strong people skills and ability to work well with others-especially customers.
Candidate must possess the physical ability to climb stairs, bend, stoop and move throughout the office/plant as needed, sit for long periods of time, perform repetitive movements, occasionally lift up to 30 pounds and possess the ability to communicate clearly in person or over the phone.
ArcelorMittal Tubular Products Shelby, Inc. offers a competitive compensation and benefits’ package including the opportunity for additional annual compensation based on facility performance. It’s benefit package includes: health, dental, life and disability insurance. It also has a company matching 401(K) savings plan.
Candidates interested in this position may forward for confidential consideration a note of their interest and their resume to the attention of Chellie Lamb via mail (132 West Main Street, Shelby, OH 44875), FAX (419-342-1474) or e-mail Michelle.Lamb@arcelormittal.com). If you have any questions or desire more information about this position, please contact Chellie Lamb, Human Resources Generalist, at (419-342-1444).
An Equal Employment Employer
- Education Level
- Bachelors Degree
- Employee Type
- Full Time
- ArcelorMittal Tubular Product