MANSFIELD – Third Street Family Health Services will hold a Patient Appreciation Event, Kids Event and Back Pack Giveaway to mark National Health Center Week 2019 from August 4th -10th.
These events are part of a national campaign to increase awareness of the ways health centers are providing affordable health care in communities.
A host of NHCW events that celebrate the ways that health centers are “Rooted in Communities” are scheduled across the country, including health fairs, visits by Members of Congress and state officials to local health centers, press conferences, back-to-school drives, community breakfasts, patient appreciation events, free health screenings and much more.
Third Street Family Health Services (TSFHS) is part of a nationwide network of locally-run health centers that serve more than 28 million people nationwide. They are on the front lines of national public health challenges – whether caring for veterans, providing opioid treatment, or responding to natural disasters. They are also a lifeline in remote and underserved communities where the nearest doctor or hospital can be as far as 50 miles or more away. Nearly half of health centers (44 percent) are located in rural communities.
Highlights of health center accomplishments include:
• Reducing unnecessary hospitalizations and unnecessary visits to the emergency room;
• Treating patients for a fraction of the average cost of one emergency room visit;
• Serving more than one in six Medicaid beneficiaries for less than two percent of the national Medicaid budget;
• Lowering the cost of children’s primary care by approximately 35 percent;
• Treating 65,000 patients with Medication Assisted Therapy for opioid use disorder in 2017; and,
• Serving over 355,000 veterans throughout the country.
This year’s NHCW 2019 will highlight how health centers are at the forefront of a nationwide shift in addressing environmental and social factors as an integral part of primary care, reaching beyond the walls of conventional medicine to address the factors that may cause sickness, such as lack of nutrition, mental illness, homelessness and substance use disorders. Community Health Centers’ success in managing chronic disease in medically vulnerable communities has helped reduce health care costs for American taxpayers.
Each day of NHCW 2019 is dedicated to a particular focus area. To learn more and view a listing of events please visit: www.healthcenterweek.org.
TSFHS PLANNED EVENTS
• Monday, August 5th, 2019 Health Care for the Homeless Day: TSFHS will be distributing hygiene bags while the downtown Monday meal is in progress.
• Tuesday, August 6th, 2019 Agriculture Worker Health Day: TSFHS is donating backpacks to an Agricultural area’s Preschool graduation ceremony.
• Wednesday, August 7th, 2019 Patient Appreciation Day: TSFHS will be holding a 25th anniversary event at the 600 W Third location 2-4. There will be games, touch a truck and K9 demonstration.
• Saturday, August 10th, 2019 Children's Health: TSFHS will be holding the Kids Event and Backpack Giveaway at South Park 10-12. Games, giveaways, and backpacks.