MANSFIELD -- Back by popular demand, the Downtown Mansfield Scavenger Hunt returns in July.
From July 1 through Aug. 3, kids can search for this year’s chosen carrousel animal, hidden in downtown businesses and organizations. Prizes can be claimed after finding certain numbers of critters.
On Saturday, Aug. 3 there will be a party at the Carrousel for everyone who found the animal 20 or more times with carrousel rides, cookies, juice, and prizes.
This event is co-sponsored by Main Street Books and The Little Buckeye Children’s Museum. Also helping out are The Richland Carrousel Park, Destination Mansfield, and Richland Source.
The event is free and open to all.
"We would now like to introduce you to Grace the Giraffe," noted a press release for the event. "She will be the animal for kids to find in this year’s hunt. As you can see, Grace is a roller skating enthusiast. (This doesn’t necessarily mean she’s good at it -- four long legs make it hard!)
"She’s been scooting and sliding all over town, visiting over 30 locations in the neighborhood. Now you may think she’d be hard to miss, but we think you’ll be surprised. Come downtown and try your best to find her."
How your family can participate:
● In July, check out the Destination Mansfield website (www.DestinationMansfield.com) or the Richland Source interactive exploration map of downtown Mansfield (www.RichlandSource.com) showing all the stores hiding a picture of Grace.
● Pick up the paper map and checklist of businesses at Main Street Books, The Little Buckeye Children’s Museum, Destination Mansfield, or the Richland Carrousel Park.
● Find Grace in the participating businesses and get your map stamped or signed.
● When you collect 10 signatures or stamps, visit The Little Buckeye Children’s Museum to make a giraffey craft.
● When you collect 20 signatures or stamps, visit Main Street Books to sign up to come to the party and prize drawing and get a coupon for a free kids’ cone at The Chill.
● If you visit every location, come to the bookstore for your special reward.
● If you found 20, come to the big party on Saturday, Aug. 3 at 2:30 p.m. at the Carrousel. Cookies, juice, carrousel rides, and a big prize drawing. Must be present to win prizes.
The scavenger hunt is a fun summer event for the whole family. Explore downtown and see what all it has to offer. You may find a store you didn’t know was here or remind yourself of one of your old favorites. Remember that you don’t have to do it all in one day, or even one weekend.
There are 34 days to complete it. Also, if a business is closed the one time you have to hunt, no big deal. Prizes will still be awarded.
The scavenger hunt is important to the businesses, too -- not just for the new or increased traffic they may see, but also because they work with all the other organizations around town and show outside observers what is possible when all work together. See what fun we make down here.