Main Street Woolworth's

Long before there were “dollar stores” in America there were “five cent” stores, and then “five-and-dime stores.” King of them all was Woolworth’s.

In the 1920s there was a Woolworth’s opening every 17 days in the US. By 1956 there were 2,100 of them.

In the 1970s there were 15 stores closing every year; by the 80s there were 1000 left. In 1997 Woolworth’s closed their last 400 stores.

Mansfield had 5 of them. The first was at the corner of Third & Main, in what is today the home of Pinnacle Financial Services.

Later on in the 20th century Woolworth’s moved to the Square on North Park Street.

Woolworth's on North Park St

After a devastating fire wiped out the old buildings on the NE corner of the Square in 1944, two new department stores were built on the site: Sears and Woolworth's.  The Woolworth building is today the home of Richland Engineering Ltd.

There was one in the West Park Shopping Center that opened in 1956; and another at Johnny Appleseed Village Shopping Center in 1957.

The last Woolworth’s in Mansfield opened in 1969 at the Richland Mall.

Support Our Journalism

History is about understanding where we’ve been. A membership with the Source supports where we’re going. Keep the richest parts of our heritage alive by joining today!

Timothy Brian McKee is a featured columnist on our site every Saturday with a column titled Native SonEvery Tuesday, he taps into his knowledge and collection of historical photos and bring us Then & Now, a brief glance at the way things were.