When this photo was taken of St. Mark’s Lutheran Church on Springmill Street in 1909, it was so new the ground was still broken. At the time, it was referred to in the papers as ‘St. Mark’s Fifth Lutheran Church,’ because it was the fifth congregation of Lutherans in Mansfield.
It had originated a few years before as a mission church in the north end of town sponsored by First Lutheran Church, meeting in a rented hall down the street. The church formally organized in 1906 with only 33 members, and by the time they had 100, they had built this amazing structure.
A true vessel of light, the semicircular sanctuary is almost as much window as wall, and flooded with color.