Ferdinand the Bull

Cells from the Disney short Ferdinand the Bull were presented as gifts to Louis Bromfield's daughters, and are on display at the Malabar Farm big house.

In 1938 Walt Disney debuted "Ferdinand the Bull," a short film based on the book "The Story of Ferdinand" by Munro Leaf.

The short became an instant classic and was televised around the world. Ferdinand became 2017 American computer-animated comedy-drama adventure film produced by Blue Sky Studios and distributed by 20th Century Fox.

Although Leaf had written the original book, Disney hired Mansfield's Louis Bromfield to write the screen adaption. He was then brought on to supervise the animation of the story.

Ferdinand went on to win the Academy Award for Best Short Subject (Cartoon).

As thanks for his work, Disney sent Bromfield's daughters two of the original animation cells from the film. Those cells still hang in Bromfield's house at Malabar Farm.

Disney became such a fan of Bromfield's work that he would later hire him to write the script for his documentary film "The Vanishing Prairie" (1954).

More information on the Cleo Redd Fisher Museum can be found at this link.

Support Our Journalism

Our content is free and always will be - but we rely on your support to sustain it.